Greenberg Glusker has broad experience in advising technology and social media companies, consumer products companies, and celebrities who engage in business with third parties. Highly skilled in the issues that typically arise in these transactions, we leverage our familiarity with prevailing market terms involved in such arrangements to achieve the best deal for our clients.
These licensing agreements often involve the grant to third parties of the right to use our clients’ trademarks, proprietary information, software, know-how, names, images, likenesses and brands in connection with commercial ventures. Consequently, we collaborate closely with our colleagues in the Intellectual Property Group to ensure that our clients’ intellectual property rights receive adequate protection and maximum return.
One of our strengths lies in our ability to assist our clients in conducting an inventory of its intellectual property, followed by setting out our recommendation for an organized and methodical approach toward the best use for the economic exploitation of such intellectual property. We are thus effective in helping our clients to safeguard their intellectual property, while also licensing those rights associated with such intellectual property to third parties.
- Represented a sports icon in acquiring an equity interest in, and finalizing a multi-year contract to serve as Head Coach of, an NHL hockey team. In addition, we have represented this same individual in dozens of endorsement and licensing arrangements with companies as varied as Anheuser-Busch, Ford, McDonald’s and Pepsi.
- Represented an Emmy-award winning actress in connection with a number of endorsement, licensing and branding opportunities in which her name, image and likeness were used to promote the sale of different types of products, from skin care to home furnishings and apparel.
- Represented Hope Road relative to the license of the name, image likeness of Bob Marley to Zion Rootswear, Homedics and Bravado International Merchandising
- Represented Alex & Ani in connection with the establishment of foreign distributor relationships
- Represented OPI Products in the license of name, likeness and image of Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey, Kim Kardashian and Serena Williams relative to the manufacture and distribution of branded nail lacquer products
- Represented Kate Somerville Skincare in the license of certain intellectual property relative to skin care products at Four Seasons hotels and foreign distribution agreement
For more information on our Licensing Group, please contact Benjamin Alexander.