Media, Entertainment and Intellectual Property
- Fifty-Six Hope Road Music Limited, et al v. Jammin Java Corporation: Obtained multi-million dollar trademark infringement award affirmed by the Ninth Circuit.
- Apple, Inc. v. Mobile Star, LLC: Secured favorable settlement in multi-party trademark and copyright infringement suit against Apple, Inc.
- Royal Palm Filmworks, Inc. v. Fifty-Six Hope Road Music, Ltd. et al., Obtained a dismissal with prejudice for a defendant in a dispute involving name and likeness, right of publicity, and copyright claims. The dismissal was affirmed on appeal to the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented Riot Games, Inc., a video game developer best known for the enormously popular game and eSport “League of Legends,” in federal litigation against a company trafficking in stolen user accounts and infringing Riot’s intellectual property. Obtained a permanent injunction shutting down the defendant and preventing its founder from engaging in future misuse of Riot’s property.
- Defeated a temporary restraining order seeking to enjoin the release of a documentary by a major television network.
- Defeated numerous “idea submission” and copyright infringement cases representing major television networks and producers in both state and federal court.
- Negotiated termination of unfavorable record deal for up-and-coming singer-songwriter.
Trial and Arbitration
- Solo chaired and won an arbitration involving a contract dispute over construction of a solar energy facility, securing a multi-million dollar award for the client.
- Solo chaired and won a bench trial involving litigation with a securities broker-dealer.
- Part of a trial team that won a multi-week arbitration in a dispute over the distribution and release of a major motion picture, involving complex issues of film finance and production.
Other Commercial Disputes
- Negotiated a complex corporate separation involving a film production company with significant intellectual property assets.
- Represented CEO in dispute over corporate reorganization and IPO.
- Represented numerous consumer products companies in connection with unfair competition and false advertising claims.
- Advises artists, producers, writers, talent management companies, and others in day-to-day business decisions, risk management, and contract negotiations.
- Advised dozens of small businesses in connection with covid-19 relief loans, including through the Small Business Administration’s “Paycheck Protection Program.”
- Advised clients on government regulations and restrictions arising out of the covid-19 pandemic.