Estate Planning and Controversy Matters
- Counseled families in the creation of comprehensive core estate plans and advance planning techniques that minimized transfer taxes and ensured that family values were preserved.
- Successfully argued for reversal of property tax reassessment by county assessor’s office following a client’s erroneous transfer of real property.
- Represented trustees in the orderly administration and distribution of trust assets.
- Prepared gift tax returns and estate tax returns for several clients.
- Represented numerous personal representatives in probate proceedings.
- Successfully represented several trustees in connection with petitions to transfer real property and personal property held in decedents’ individual names to such decedents’ trusts without the need for any probate proceedings.
- Successfully represented several trustees in connection with petitions to modify the terms of irrevocable trusts.
- Worked closely with a title insurance company to assist trustee with closing escrow on a home that was not properly transferred to the trust prior to the settlor’s death.
- Obtained an award of attorneys’ fees on behalf of a beneficiary in a dispute regarding trust property.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of trustee in a trust contest brought by one of five siblings who was disinherited under the trust.
- Member of a two-person team that obtained a favorable settlement, without the need for litigation, against an insurance company that refused to pay the death benefits on a life insurance policy to our client.
- Member of a two-person team that obtained a $2 million verdict against Regency Outdoor Advertising on behalf of clients Whisky-A-Go-Go and Ace Outdoor Advertising.
Pro Bono Matters
- Successfully obtained significant disability benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs for a low-income veteran living with disabilities.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in a pro bono matter for a tenant in an unlawful detainer proceeding brought against her.
- Successfully overturned an administrative ruling that deprived our client of unemployment insurance benefits for a wrongful termination.