The rapid rise of blockchain assets and NFTs has revolutionized the way we think about value and ownership, creating new opportunities for investors and collectors alike. However, with this new technology comes new legal challenges, disputes, and insolvencies in an uncharted and evolving regulatory environment. That’s where our multidisciplinary team comes in.
The team's guidance ranges from protecting and exploiting IP to resolving complex disputes before regulators, arbiters, and courts. We also have expertise in using digital assets in secured transactions and in bankruptcy matters. In addition to assisting blockchain-native businesses, our deep expertise in entertainment and media allows us to be particularly adept at advising celebrities, influencers, digital content publishers, web2 content companies, social platforms, and video game studios who are leveraging their IP in the NFT space.
Our team of experienced lawyers helps clients navigate an ever-changing regulatory environment of digital assets in areas of asset recovery, cybersecurity, secured transactions, bankruptcy and insolvency, corporate disputes, breach of contract, copyright, and intellectual property rights.
Our expertise lies in the fact that our practitioners understand blockchain technology and have gained invaluable hands-on experience that helps us tailor cutting-edge solutions to complex legal challenges for our clients.
We pride ourselves on using our practical knowledge and past experiences to provide pragmatic, business-minded guidance to clients in a cost-efficient manner. We routinely explore client and competitor blockchain projects to inform our advice with hands-on experience. We tailor client solutions to exploit the limitless potential of on-chain activity while mitigating the risks posed by rapidly evolving technology preferences and regulatory enforcement priorities.
Our transactional and litigation experience includes:
- Representing cryptocurrency investor Michael Terpin in winning a $75.8 million judgment stemming from the theft of close to $24 million in crypto assets.
- Representing a top-10 NFT collection/ecosystem in trademark, copyright, and token design matters related to its ecosystem’s native currency and NFT holders’ commercialization of tokenized artwork.
- Advising a game-streaming social platform in the development of a tokenization mechanism for creator content, including creator contracts, partner selection, game-publisher licensing, and NFT terms of sale.
- Advising a web3 content studio in inbound licensing for entertainment content incorporating characters from Bored Apes Yacht Club and other semi-tokenized IP portfolios.
- Representing a record producer and singer in connection with the sale of an NFT consisting of an exclusive song.
- Represented MyConstant, a cryptocurrency lending/investing platform, in its out-of-court liquidation.
We have also advised clients on a range of other matters, including:
- Crypto exchange bankruptcies
- Security interests in digital currencies
- Stolen private keys
- Unauthorized transfers
- NFT copyright and trademark infringement by NFT holders and third parties
- Breach of NFT licenses
- NFT projects on potential fraud liability and class-based claims stemming from delayed and unrealized project goals (“rug pulls”), successfully deterring holders from seeking regulatory and legal relief
We pride ourselves on our ability to stay ahead of the curve in this rapidly evolving area of law. Our team stays up to date on the latest regulatory developments and industry trends, allowing us to provide our clients with strategic advice and guidance in navigating the complex landscape of digital currencies and NFT disputes.
Our integrated team includes attorneys from our Corporate, Finance & Securities, Entertainment, Intellectual Property, Taxation, Cybersecurity & Privacy, Litigation, and Bankruptcy Groups. Depending on the needs of the client, members of these groups flexibly provide cohesive support and insight.