Our integrated, multidisciplinary team advises individuals and companies across the blockchain ecosystem.
The team's guidance ranges from protecting and exploiting IP to resolving complex disputes before regulators, arbiters and courts. In addition to assisting blockchain-native businesses, our deep expertise in entertainment and media allows us to be particularly adept at advising celebrities, influencers, digital content publishers, web2 content companies, social platforms and video game studios who are leveraging their IP in the NFT space.
We pride ourselves on using our practical knowledge and past experiences to provide pragmatic, business-minded guidance to clients in a cost-efficient manner. We actually use blockchain technology and routinely explore client and competitor blockchain projects to inform our advice with hands-on experience. We tailor client solutions to exploit the limitless potential of on-chain activity while mitigating the risks posed by rapidly evolving technology preferences and regulatory enforcement priorities.
We represent clients with:
- Outbound and inbound content licensing for NFT and other blockchain projects
- Creation and distribution of NFTs, including content licensing and terms of sale for NFT issuers and marketplaces
- Legal aspects of token design
- Corporate structuring, fund formation, incorporation and tax strategies, and acquisitions and dispositions
- Financing, including SAFTs, SAFEs and Preferred Stock financings
- Resolution of disputes involving on-chain assets
Greenberg Glusker’s multidisciplinary team includes attorneys from our Corporate, Finance & Securities, Entertainment, Intellectual Property, Taxation, Cybersecurity & Privacy and Litigation Groups. Depending on the needs of the client, members of these groups flexibly provide cohesive support and insight.
- A top-10 NFT collection/ecosystem in trademark, copyright and token design matters related to its ecosystem’s native currency and NFT holders’ commercialization of tokenized artwork.
- A game-streaming social platform in development of a tokenization mechanism for creator content, including creator contracts, partner selection, game-publisher licensing and NFT terms of sale.
- A web3 content studio in inbound licensing for entertainment content incorporating characters from Bored Apes Yacht Club and other semitokenized IP portfolios.
- Cryptocurrency Investor Michael Terpin in winning a $75.8 million judgment stemming from the theft of close to $24 million in crypto assets.
- A record producer and singer in connection with the sale of a NFT consisting of an exclusive song.