Greenberg Glusker LLP provides an extensive range of services to clients in the energy sector. Such work has included development and entitlement of renewable energy projects, regulatory counsel to clients in the power generation sector, litigation pertaining to environmental and energy issues, and a variety of energy-related transactions – from negotiation of power purchase agreements (“PPAs”) to representation of clients in connection with the sale and acquisition of electric-generating assets.
We have a significant regulatory practice involving energy-related matters. Particularly with respect to agencies imposing environmental requirements, including but not limited to the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB), the California Air Resources Board (CARB), and the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), and the California Coastal Commission, we are often asked by clients to represent them in administrative proceedings and complex permitting matters. For example, we are helping several utility clients in connection with permitting and enforcement matters at electric generation facilities involving agencies such as the RWQCB, the California Coastal Commission, and CARB.
Our team has worked on a variety of project-development related matters, including utility scale solar projects and smaller distributed generation projects. For example, we have done the CEQA/NEPA compliance work on large-scale renewable projects, and we are currently helping a client with a microgrid project in the Los Angeles area as well as direct access to renewable energy sources.
Our Energy Practice and Environmental Department have extensive experience litigating and trying cases that involve novel issues of law and complex regulatory backgrounds. Our team routinely handles sophisticated cases involving technical matters, administrative agencies, and utilities (including matters related to climate change, energy production facility operations, CEQA, and preemption concerning certain governmental requirements and tort claims). All the attorneys in our Energy Practice have experience with energy-related litigation, including federal and state court and administrative matters.
- Negotiating PPA for microgrid solar/battery system on behalf of a large college campus
- Representation of utility-scale solar project developers in connection with land use and environmental development issues and energy matters
- Representation of clients in insurance and dairy industry in connection with California’s cap-and-trade program
- Representation of renewable energy project consultant in connection with various contracts, including customer contracts and engineering design contracts
- Representation of buyers and sellers in connection with portfolio sales of electric generation assets, including wind and solar projects
- Representation of lessors and lessees in connection with portfolio sales of gasoline service stations
- Representation of independent power producer in connection with environmental regulatory matters concerning water and air resources
- Representation of large utility in connection with demolition of power plants
- Representation of major energy companies in connection with litigation relating to variety of environmental and energy issues, including climate change tort claims, rights concerning energy production facilities, administrative law challenges related to electric generation facilities, Superfund actions and contaminated property disputes, and Clean Water Act lawsuits